Hi guest! Maybe consider registering on our new shiny forums!
Mafia II Online: Reborn
Started by MyU

Rate this topic
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

7 posts in this topic
MyU
Administrator

9 posts 5 threads Joined: Mar 2017
03-04-2017, 04:00 PM -
Hello community,
today is a quite bigger day we officially launch our new web presence which includes a new shiny SSL secured forum and front page.

I'll call this Phase I of our plans regarding Mafia II Online and Phase I includes a overhaul of every aspect of the mod including our rewrite and port of the mod to the steam version.

Out latest announcement contained information about the rewrite: read more about it here and now I'll explain you all the reasons behind our decisions and what actually happens to the "old" Mafia II Multiplayer/Online.

First - why did we redo our forums and front page?

One apparent reason is that we want to move on and don't want to stick with old things the other reason correlates with this also; The old forum contains many outdated posts including but not limited to information about the mod which causes confusion around everyone.

The front page also includes a bunch of redundant info, it creates the illusion that we got a finished and polished mod WHICH we don't at the exact moment.

Second - What happens to the old version of M2O/M2MP?

We'll keep the masterlist, downloads and minor support online and provide you guys with needed hot fixes in the meantime.
You'll find all releases and necessary information in the Releases section.

I hope we cleared everything up, if not don't hesitate to ask on discord or on the forums.
New updates regarding our development progress will be posted in our Development section.
This post was last modified: 03-04-2017, 04:03 PM by MyU.
Masterski
Legacy Member

2 posts 0 threads Joined: Jan 2016
03-06-2017, 12:30 PM -
Honestly I feel it was a bad thing to get rid of all the forum posts that showed the activity and interest of people following the project. It's definitely a hit to a community and Im very turned off by these changes. Have a mixed feeling about the steam route either but time will tell, though my expectations about the project at this point are equal to zero.
This post was last modified: 03-06-2017, 12:31 PM by Masterski.
Kirill

4 posts 2 threads Joined: Sep 2016
03-06-2017, 01:31 PM -
Integration with steam is a good idea.
This post was last modified: 03-06-2017, 01:33 PM by Kirill.
MyU
Administrator

9 posts 5 threads Joined: Mar 2017
03-06-2017, 04:39 PM -
(03-06-2017, 12:30 PM)Masterski Wrote: Honestly I feel it was a bad thing to get rid of all the forum posts that showed the activity and interest of people following the project. It's definitely a hit to a community and Im very turned off by these changes. Have a mixed feeling about the steam route either but time will tell, though my expectations about the project at this point are equal to zero.

I get your concerns but the old forum (you can access it here) contained a lot of redundant information and therefore confusion and that's why we want to change everything to the better (get rid of bugs, better synchronization and so on) it would be bad to keep hanging on "old" stuff as we want to make everything fresh'n'clean.

And that's also how we want to rise expectations the previous tries actually made things worse than better IMHO yes some improvements were made but major bugs and unfinished sync remained dominant throughout m2mp and m2o.

About your steam argument it's basically necessary to switch to steam if we don't want to get into trouble and if you're a respectful person.

The first trouble part explains itself I think even tho there been no C&D letters from the publishers of Mafia II yet doesn't mean they won't come in the future if the mod gets more popular - we're basically disturbing "patches(so called cracks)" for a game which doesn't make us any better than your casual shop thief.

The "cracking DRM" part is one big thing which makes us "modders" not very loved by publishers and developers, if we enjoy the game - we buy it it's so simple.

I hope you understand my point of view and can actually sympathize with us.
This post was last modified: 03-06-2017, 04:40 PM by MyU.
Atunero
Web Developer

4 posts 2 threads Joined: Jan 2016
03-06-2017, 07:00 PM -
Well at these stages with more than 5 years of waiting, it's normal to be a bit upset with this 'restart'. But I wish to be optimistic and hope that all these changes are for better.

So you have all my support.
Voks

1 posts 0 threads Joined: Feb 2017
03-07-2017, 01:03 PM -
continue the work mafia ii its best for online Wink
Twinki

1 posts 0 threads Joined: Jan 2016
04-20-2017, 06:48 AM -
I havent visited forums for a while now, its nice to see something like this. Feels refreshing
salwador

2 posts 0 threads Joined: Feb 2016
05-05-2017, 11:38 AM -
Cool story, again new mafia mp :c
#makebullympgreatagain